Search the Web



Wednesday 14 March 2012

Serial #'d Vaginas

So, a new law proposed by Republican Debbie Lesko (called HB2625) was recently endorsed by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a vote of 6 - 2. What does this law propose? Arizona wants to give employers the right to fire a woman for using birth control to prevent pregnancy. Yes, that's right. If you're not using birth control for "non-sexual" reasons, you can kiss your job goodbye if your employer so desires it. The article at Jezebel wraps up a lot of the points I'd like to make quite succinctly here (in of course a vulgar and well-versed manner) but I just want to voice my own outrage.

Why the fuck does the US seem to be hell bent on making unwanted pregnancy a reality for every underprivileged sexually active woman. Why the hell should insurance not cover birth control? It covers vasectomies. It covers cancer. If republicans are so pro-fetus and anti-abortion, why raise the rates of unwanted pregnancy, and therefore the 'horrible sins' of a well thought out abortion?

Oh I get it! The idea is, if women might get pregnant, they'll wait until they're on their marriage bed before even considering in engaging in the foul act of sexual intercourse. Are they fucking retarded? I try to keep my opinions from being vulgar, but this is just ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I am outraged and very happy to not live in the US right now. I pity women of the US for having to put up with the state seeking to regulate their bodies in such a foul manner. Come off your high horse and realize that you can't force a largely religious opinion on an entirely nonreligious person. Such bullshit.

That's not to say that Canada doesn't have arguments over abortion, we do. Our government is conservative and I worry everyday that one day I may not receive the support if something does go wrong and I find myself with an unwanted pregnancy. It's like the government assumes women run around having unprotected sex just to cost the state money. How can people be so ignorant?

It all goes back to the roots of feminism. My body. My choice. If women aren't property anymore under law then how does that give the government the right try and control these bodies? What happened to the supposed separation of Church and State? Seems like just a bunch of vacant words right now.

Line up ladies, pretty soon they'll put serial numbers in our vaginas.

No comments:

Post a Comment